About Tlon / Urbit
Tlon is one of the companies working on Urbit, a new platform for personal computing in the cloud. Urbit is a decentralized identity system (Urbit ID) and a network of personal servers (Urbit OS) designed for individual day to day communication, collaboration and commerce. You can learn more about Urbit and try it out at urbit.org.
While Tlon helps to build the core infrastructure of Urbit, its focus is on tools and products for communities that run on top of Urbit. The first of those was Landscape, a flexible communication tool at the intersection of Discord, are.na, and Notion that we launched in 2020. The second is Tlon Hosting Services, the easiest way to run an Urbit OS node. The third is a mobile version of Landscape, called Pocket.
Tlon is a focused, dedicated team of people. We’re excited about a future where we actually control our computers again. Getting there is going to involve a lot of rigorous work, and we’re excited to do it.
You have a deep and holistic understanding of design and user experience. You are a jack of all trades from graphics to prototypes to code. You can step in at any part of the user story and create meaningful designs for educational, onboarding, or product specific purposes. You have an eye for detail and a well defined aesthetic. You work well with multiple projects, jumping between formats.
About the job
You’re ready to work across teams and mediums. You’ll report directly to the VP of Marketing and Communications, but will also be immersed in the three man Design team at Tlon. You will be instrumental in redesigning marketing websites, user onboarding flows, and graphic assets. You’ll be instrumental in furthering the usability of Tlon and products built on Urbit. This is not a product position, but experience with UX/UI design / development with applications is a plus.
- Work closely with Marketing and Communications to bring to life multiple brands within the Tlon portfolio
- Collaborate with Tlon's Design team to evolve existing design systems for product and brand works
- Create delightful onboarding experiences, from user documentation and product tool tips to email campaigns
- Design and implement marketing websites and collateral
- Create visual assets and/or coordinate with Graphic Design contractors
- BA in Design, HCI, or relevant field
- Impactful aesthetic and discernment
- 3+ years web design
- React, Jamstack, HTML, CSS
- Experience designing interfaces with Figma or other modern design software
- A desire to understand and work with blockchain and cryptographic technologies
- Prior experience working with component libraries or design systems
Nice to haves
- Previous experience with decentralized networks and applications
- Experience with Adobe, Affinity, or other modern graphics production software
Please include in your application
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- Portfolio link or design samples
We have hired quite a lot of people out of the Urbit Community. This isn’t a requirement, but all applicants should be familiar with Urbit. To get up to speed:
- Read: Our docs, but especially Understanding Urbit
- Listen: to Arthur Falls’ Understanding Urbit podcast
- Play: Download Port, the Urbit client, and get on Landscape today: urbit.org
Tlon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, or any other non-merit factor.