Your privacy matters
At Tlon, we care about your privacy and believe that ownership, privacy and control don’t need to be sacrificed in exchange for usability, accessibility and reliability. That’s why we limit our collection and use of your personally identifiable information (“PII”) to what’s necessary to provide our Services to you, unless you give us your consent.
Information we collect
We may collect a variety of information from or about you or your devices from various sources, as described below. We collect information: 1) when you provide it to us or give us permission to collect it; and 2) automatically, when you interact with the Services.
Information you provide to us
Address Space Information. When you acquire Urbit address space from Tlon, you voluntarily provide us with certain information, such as your name and email. You may also provide us with your Ethereum wallet address and public key.
Communications. If you contact us directly, we may receive additional information about you. For example, when you chat with us in Urbit or contact support, we may receive your email address, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide.
Information we automatically collect when you use our services
When you use or interact with our Services, certain information is automatically collected and logged. We collect information automatically when you:
- visit, interact with, or use Tlon Hosting or other Offerings (including when you use your computer or other device to interact with Tlon Offerings);
- download your Ship;
- open emails or click on links in emails from us; and
- interact or communicate with us (such as when you attend an Tlon event or when you request customer support). Here are some types of information we automatically collect:
- Log Data. When you visit, interact with, or use our Services, our servers record information automatically sent by your browser or device (“log data”). This log data includes your Internet Protocol address, browser type and settings, the data and time of your interactions, how you used our Services, cookie data, device data, occurrences of technical errors, diagnostic reports, your settings preferences, backup information, and API calls.
- Device Information. We receive information about the device and software you use to access our websites, including IP address, unique device identifier, web browser type and version, device model, and operating system version. We may infer your location based on your IP address.
- Clickstream Data. To help us understand how you use our Services and to help us improve them, if you let us, we automatically receive information about your interactions with the Services, like the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our website, pages or other content you viewed or searched for, the dates and times of your visits. Page response times, download erros, and page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs)
- Information from Cookies and Similar Technologies. On our websites, we and third party partners collect information using cookies, or similar technologies. Our third party partners, such as analytics partners like Google Analytics, may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across different online services. Cookies are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to our website. Please review your web browser 'Help' file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. In particular, please visit Google Partner Sites to learn more about how Google uses data.
How we use the information we collect
We use the information we collect to provide our Services to you, to improve your experience, to comply with our obligations and to keep you safe. We have a legitimate interest to collect and use your information in these ways, including to:
- Identify you or your device when you use the Service
- To improve and enhance our Services and develop new products, services, features, and functionality;
- To understand and analyze how you use our Services
- Respond to your questions or comments when you reach out to us;
- To find and prevent fraud;
- To respond to trust and safety issues that may arise; and
- For compliance purposes, including enforcing our Terms of Service or other legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency.
In addition to the circumstances above, we’ll only use your information with your consent in order to:
- Provide you with updates or other information relating to the Services you signed up to receive;
- Unless you are a user of Tlon Hosting, to understand and analyze how you use the service
How we share the information we collect
We do not share or otherwise disclose information we collect from or about you except as described below or otherwise disclosed to you at the time of the collection.
- On the Blockchain. If you purchase address space, the transaction will appear on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Service Providers. We may share any information we receive with service providers retained in connection with the provision of the Services on our behalf, such as our payment processors.
- Analytics Partners. We use analytics services such as Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data. These services may also collect information regarding your use of other websites, apps, and online resources. You can learn about Google's practices by going to Google Partners: Privacy, and opt out of them by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at Google Analytics: Opt Out.
- As Required By Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your information if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to (a) comply with law enforcement requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (b) respond to your requests; or (c) protect your, our or others' rights, property, or safety. For the avoidance of doubt, the disclosure of your information may occur if you post any objectionable content on or through the Service.
We strive to give our users meaningful choices and control regarding their personal information. All of our users have the following rights:
- Marketing Communications. You can unsubscribe from our promotional emails via the link provided in the emails. Even if you opt-out of receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us.
- Do Not Track. There is no accepted standard on how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and we do not respond to such signals. Users in the European Economic Area have the following rights, which can be exercised by emailing [email protected]:
- Request access to or edit your personal information we collect and store about you
- Delete your personal information by closing your account
- Object to us using your information for certain purposes
- Transfer the personal information you provide to us to a third party
How long we keep your information
We keep your information for as long as necessary to enable you to use our Services and to fulfill the purposes described in this policy. This is also true for anyone that we share your information with that provides services on our behalf. When we no longer need your information and there is no need to keep it to comply with our legal obligation, we’ll delete your personal information from our systems, or depersonalize it so that we can’t identify you.
The Services may contain links to other websites, products, or services that Tlon does not own or operate. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties. We encourage you to read their privacy policies before providing any information to them.
Additionally, when you use our Services, and in particular, the Interface, you are interacting with the Ethereum blockchain, which provides transparency into your transactions. Tlon is not responsible for any information you make public on the Ethereum blockchain by taking actions through the Interface.
We make reasonable efforts to protect your information by using physical and electronic safeguards designed to improve the security of the information we maintain. However, as our Services are hosted electronically, we can make no guarantees as to the security or privacy of your information.
Tlon’s services are offered globally. By using our Services, you authorize us to transfer and store your information outside of your home country for the purposes described in this policy. Please note that the privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your personal information in such countries may not be equivalent to those in your home country.
Tlon is responsible for processing your information. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about our processing activities, please email us at [email protected]. Last Updated: September 12, 2018